John Mussman is a leading banking and financial services lawyer.
Mr. Mussman represents banks, mortgage lenders, and other financial services providers, focusing on banking and commercial and consumer credit law. He also represents bank affiliates and non-bank players in the commercial and consumer credit space.
His work includes managing regulatory projects for banks, mortgage companies, finance companies and credit card banks, assisting in the development of electronic banking and other financial products, and representing domestic and foreign financial institutions in complying with federal and state regulatory and licensing requirements. He also drafts and negotiates credit card and merchant agreements with banks and card companies for hotels and other nonbank clients.
Prior to law school, Mr. Mussman worked for three years as a research assistant and legislative assistant in the Washington office of United States Senator Edward Zorinsky (D. Nebraska).
Mr. Mussman received his J.D. (cum laude) from the University of Michigan Law School and his B.A. (cum laude) from Kalamazoo College. He is recognized by Best Lawyers in America® in Banking and Finance law.
- Sax v. Fast Track Investments – Legal Finance Regulation, Consumer Lending Interest Rate Regulation, Rimonlaw.com, July 27, 2021
- Bostock v. Clayton County and Its Expansion of Sexual Discrimination to Include Discrimination against Persons for Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity, Rimonlaw.com, July 14, 2021
- OCC and FDIC Propose CRA Modernization Regulations, Rimonlaw.com, January 21, 2020
- Seventh Circuit Rejects Class Action for TILA Violation Right of Rescission. Financial Institutions Newsletter, October 2008
- Investment in Indian Country: How Investments in Tribal Infrastructure and Other Tribal Projects May Qualify for Community Reinvestment Act Credit, September 2007
- Preemption of State Mortgage Banking Regulations for Operating Subsidiaries of National Banks. Financial Institutions Newsletter, July 2007
- Illinois Governor Suspends Predatory Lending Pilot Program. Financial Institutions Newsletter, February 2007
- FDIC Issues Supervisory Policy on Predatory Lending. Financial Institutions Newsletter, February 2007
- March 10, 2021. “Community Reinvestment Act Modernization — Three Agencies Diverged in a Yellow Wood: A Study in Divergence, Convergence, and the Battle of the Charts.” Chicago Bar Association’s Financial Institutions Committee.
- May 30, 2019. CFPB actions in fair lending, Annual Consumer Financial Services Conference
- April 10, 2019. Chicago Bar Financial Institutions Committee
- December 12, 2018. Privacy Development; New Statutory and Regulatory Requirements for Banks and other Financial Institutions. The Chicago Bar Association Financial Institutions Committee.
- November 14, 2018. Fair Lending: Enforcement, Audits, and New Frontiers. The Chicago Bar Association Financial Institutions Committee.
- October 30, 2018. Eager for Regulatory Reform: An Update on the Economic Growth Act Implementation. Illinois Bankers, Fall Compliance Conference.
- October 10, 2018. Case Studies for Professional Responsibility: Inclusion and Diversity. The Chicago Bar Association Financial Institutions Committee.
- April 26, 2018. Ten Questions: Case Studies for Professional Responsibility. The Chicago Bar Association, Financial Institutions Committee.
- November 8, 2017. Cast A Long Shadow: The Continued Impact of the “Robust Causality” requirement in Inclusive Communities and the “Concrete Injury” Analysis in Spokeo. A discussion of the recent case law addressing doctrines developed by the United States Supreme Court in 2015 and 2016. The Chicago Bar Association Financial Institutions Committee.
- August 3, 2017. Where there is Smoke, there are Mirrors: Misdirection and the Application of Sleight of Hand Principals to the Pursuit of Shiny Objects in Politics. The Rotary Club of the Chicago Financial District.
- February 10, 2016. Recent Developments in Fair Lending. The Chicago Bar Association, Financial Institutions Committee.
- October 14, 2010. “House of Cards: The Credit Card Act/Where Are We and Where Are We Going?.” National Association of Federal Credit Unions Regulatory Compliance.
News, Events, & Insights
Rimon Attorneys in 14 Offices and 10 States Listed as Best Lawyers in America 2022
Awards August 19, 2021
Sax v. Fast Track Investments - Legal Finance Regulation, Consumer Lending Interest Rate Regulation
Insights July 27, 2021
Bostock v. Clayton County and Its Expansion of Sexual Discrimination to Include Discrimination against Persons for Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity
Insights July 14, 2021
Rimon Attorneys in six states and ten offices listed in Best Lawyers® 2021
News August 20, 2020
United States Supreme Court Opinions in Seila Law v. Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and Bostock v. Clayton County
Insights July 1, 2020
The CARES Act
COVID-19 Legal Updates March 30, 2020