John Handy is a Partner in Rimon’s Northern Virginia office. He is an experienced litigator focusing on intellectual property disputes in U.S. District Courts, the International Trade Commission (ITC), and the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office’s Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB). John litigates on both sides of the aisle, having represented both patent owners and accused infringers, and leverages his litigation experience to help clients obtain high value patents.
In addition to his IP litigation and patent prosecution practice, John authors legal opinions on patent infringement, freedom to operate, patent validity, patentability, and market exclusivity. He also assists clients with licensing patents and patent portfolios.
As a registered patent practitioner with a mechanical engineering and software programming background, John’s practice covers a wide range of technologies and sectors, including Internet and mobile applications, operating systems, network communication protocols, LED lighting, relational databases, e-commerce and SSL/TLS encryption, real-time multimedia streaming, personal navigation devices, medical instruments, and consumer goods. As a result, John is skilled at translating complex technical issues into concepts that are understandable and compelling to courts, and highly effective at strategizing and collaborating with inventors and technical experts.
- BelAir Electronics, Inc. v. Carved Inc. (N.D. Ind.); BelAir Electronics, Inc. v. Caseable Inc. (D. Del.) – Defended mobile phone case manufacturers, Carved and Caseable, against patent infringement allegations in the Northern District of Indiana and the District of Delaware.
- Shenzhen Tange Li’An E-Commerce Co., Ltd. et al. v. Drone Whirl LLC et al. (W.D. Tex.) – Represented consumer goods manufacturer seeking declaratory judgment of patent invalidity and asserting unfair competition and tortious interference with contract claims in the Western District of Texas. Won early motion for judgment on the pleadings that defendant’s patent is invalid.
- BVP Holding, Inc. v. Stamina Products, Inc. (W.D. Mo.); BVP Holding, Inc. v. Paradigm Health & Wellness, Inc. (C.D. Cal.) – Represented patent inventor and entrepreneur in the exercise equipment industry as plaintiff in patent litigations in the Central District of California and the Western District of Missouri, securing favorable settlements.
- MonkeyLectric, LLC v. Theta Administration LLC d/b/a Activ Life (M.D. Fla.) – Defended company specializing in physical wellness products against patent and trademark infringement allegations in the Middle District of Florida.
- Kologik Capital, LLC v. In Force Technology, LLC et al. (D. Mass.) – Defended In Force Technology, a software company with products used by law enforcement to share real-time information regarding school safety, against patent and trademark infringement allegations in the District of Massachusetts. Won motion for summary judgment of noninfringement and defeated plaintiff’s motion for case dispositive sanctions.
- Represented leading patent monetization company as plaintiff in over 20 patent litigations in the District of Delaware, Central and Southern Districts of California, and the District of New Jersey, involving subject matter such as media streaming mobile applications, GPS data messaging integration, real-time traffic monitoring applications, and data center cooling rack technology.
- Mobile Telecommunications Technologies, LLC v. Amazon.com, Inc. et al. (E.D. Tex.) – Defended Amazon in patent litigation in the Eastern District of Texas involving network communication protocols and package delivery notifications.
- FlatWorld Interactives LLC v. Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. et al. (D. Del.); CDD Technologies, LLC v. Samsung Electronics America, Inc. (E.D. Tex.) – Defended Samsung in patent litigations in the District of Delaware and the Eastern District of Texas, involving gesture recognition applications for mobile devices, network channel selection algorithms, and PC operating system functionalities.
- Certain Navigation Products, Including GPS Devices, Navigation and Display Systems, Radar Systems, Navigational Aids, Mapping Systems and Related Software (Inv. No. 337-TA-900) – Represented Navico as a respondent in ITC investigation involving Broadband 4G radar.
- EMG Technology, LLC v. Alcoa Inc. et al. (E.D. Tex.) – Defended Alcoa in patent litigation in the Eastern District of Texas involving HTML to XML conversion methods.
- Barry v. Medtronic, Inc. (E.D. Tex.) – Defended Medtronic in patent litigation in the Eastern District of Texas involving scoliosis surgical procedures and equipment.
- Emblaze Ltd. v. Apple Inc. et al. (N.D. Cal.) – Defended Apple in patent litigation in the Northern District of California involving real-time multimedia streaming.
- GeoTag, Inc. v. Canon Inc. et al. (E.D. Tex.) – Defended Canon in patent litigation in the Eastern District of Texas involving website nearest store locator functionalities.
- Stambler v. Urban Outfitters, Inc. et al. (E.D. Tex.) – Defended Urban Outfitters in patent litigation in the Eastern District of Texas involving SSL/TLS encryption.
- Ambato Media, LLC v. Garmin International, Inc. et al. (E.D. Tex.) – Defended Garmin in patent litigation in the Eastern District of Texas involving personal navigation device technology.
- Xpoint Technologies Inc. v. Google Inc. et al. (D. Del.); Interval Licensing LLC v. Google Inc. (W.D. Wash.); NetJumper Software, LLC v. Google Inc. (E.D. Mich.) – Defended Google in multiple patent litigations in the District of Delaware, Western District of Washington, and Eastern District of Michigan, involving data transfer technology, pop-up graphical user interfaces, and web search toolbars.
- Netcraft Corporation v. Cellco Partnership d/b/a Verizon Wireless Inc. et al. (D. Del.) – Defended Verizon Wireless in patent litigation in the District of Delaware involving Internet billing methods.
- “An Inventor’s Guide to Enforcing Patents on a Budget,” IPWatchdog (Mar. 2020)
- “Your financial products and services are still patentable (maybe) – tips for procurement,” Financier Worldwide (Sept. 2014)
- American Bar Association
- Virginia Bar Association
- “Rimon Adds IP Partner In Virginia From IP Advanced,” Law360 Pulse (Aug. 2023)
News, Events, & Insights
- Rimon PC adds experienced Intellectual Property Litigator, John Handy in Northern Virginia
News August 28, 2023