David is an experienced intellectual property attorney who provides strategic counsel to clients on trademark and design matters across a wide range of industries, including fashion, cosmetics, entertainment, beverage and pharmaceutical. He handles risk evaluation for trademark use and registration, prosecution, policing, enforcement and worldwide portfolio management, as well as disputes before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board and other tribunals. Additionally, David resolves intellectual property disputes in federal court and before the International Trade Commission. He is also a registered patent attorney, assisting clients with the procurement and enforcement of patent rights.
David is a trained mechanical engineer, who understands and is interested in, complex scientific concepts—a strong foundation for his patent practice. He’s highly experienced in the area of soft-IP, with a focus on trademarks and designs. He thinks like a lawyer and an engineer and is well-versed in the language of business, all of which helps him to serve his clients exceptionally well.
David’s practice is also transactional in nature. He negotiates and drafts various intellectual property agreements, including licenses and co-existence agreements, as well as conducts due diligence on IP portfolios in connection with mergers and acquisitions.
- Represented an internationally famous automobile brand in its trademark enforcement strategy in the United States.
- Managed an international policing program for a client’s well-known clothing brand, including advice on initiating opposition and cancellation actions.
- Handled extensive trademark clearance and prosecution for the infant care division of a large multinational pharmaceutical company.
- Managed design patent portfolios involving footwear and wristwatches.
- Guided companies in the area of intellectual property in mergers and acquisitions and the purchase of intellectual property portfolios.
- Protected the intellectual property interests of a world-renowned music group through policing and enforcement strategies.
- Drafted and successfully prosecuted numerous utility patent applications in the mechanical and electromechanical arts and wrote legal opinions on the validity and possible infringement of patents in these fields.
- Panelist, “Counseling Your Entertainment Client on Protecting Its Trademarks/Brands Here and Abroad,” 9th Annual Entertainment & Sports Law Society Symposium of the American Bar Association, Miami, April 6, 2018
- Panelist, “Trends in the Use of Technology by Law Firms,” Israel Legal Tech Conference, Tel Aviv, June 20, 2017
- Panelist, “Branding and Trademark Law Issues in 2017,” 8th Annual Entertainment & Sports Law Society Symposium of the American Bar Association, Miami, March 31, 2017
- Moderator and Host, “US Trademark Case Law Review,” International Trademark Association sponsored roundtable, Miami, January 18, 2017
- Speaker, “Intellectual Property for the Dental Industry,” California Dental Expo, Los Angeles, January 22, 2016
- Moderator, “Multiple Reasons for Filing a Trademark Opposition Other than to Stop Registration in the U.S. and Around the World,” International Trademark Association Annual Meeting, San Diego, May 4, 2015
- Speaker, “Nontraditional Trademarks, Designs, and other IP Exotics,” DuPont/Widener University School of Law Intellectual Property Continuing Legal Education Seminar, Delaware, September 30, 2014
- Speaker, “Nontraditional Trademarks: Scent, Shape, Sound and More,” ScentWorld 2014, New York, June 13, 2014
- “The Hague Agreement in the US” HouseMARQUES Issue 42, June 2014
- “The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Trade Marks 2013” USA Chapter, 2013
- “No Registration, No Problem” World Trademark Review, Issue 40, December/January 2013
- “Taking a Liberal Approach” World Trademark Review, Issue 32, August/September 2011
- “Beware the Robots – Moving Away From Formulaic Registration Processes” World Trademark Review, April/May 2011
- “Assessing a Trademark’s Strengths and Risks of Use” License, Vol. 9 No. 10, November 2006
HONORS & AWARDS
- Leading Trademark Professional, World Trademark Review (Law Business Research), 2015-2021
- Intellectual Property Law Rising Stars, Super Lawyers (Thomson Reuters Corporation), 2013
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- Palma Vista at Ponte Verde Homeowners Association, Inc.
News, Events, & Insights
- Law360: Earth Wind & Fire Cover Band Must Face Original's Suit In Fla.
News August 22, 2023