Zheng (Jen) Liu is a partner in the Intellectual Property and Litigation groups. She regularly represents and advises Chinese and Taiwanese technology companies on a wide range of legal issues relevant to doing business outside China, particularly in intellectual property, technology law, commercial disputes, and international trade. With a background in both biology and physics, she works with companies in a variety of industries, including telecommunications, drones, internet, fintech, and life sciences. Some of the Chinese and Taiwanese companies she has represented are Acer, Alipay, BGI Genomics, Cambricon, DJI, Everest Medicine, Foxconn, Foxit, Kunshan Guoli, Innolight, Nanya, OPPO, Tencent, Ubtech, Xiaomi, and XMotors.
Zheng has been the lead member for many intellectual property and commercial litigation cases and has argued important issues such as claim construction and examined witnesses in federal courts. She focuses on patent, trade secret, copyright and trademark litigation, and also has substantial experience in contract, employment, and consumer class action cases.
Zheng is the past President, former Board Member and current senior advisory board member of Chinese American Lawyers of the Bay Area (CALOBA), an organization dedicated to helping Chinese-speaking lawyers and law students in their career development, and the general Chinese American community in understanding their rights and responsibilities in the U.S. She regularly speaks and writes on issues relating to intellectual property, litigation, technology law, and international trade.
Before joining Rimon, she worked at the international firm Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP where she established and led Orrick’s Drone & UAV practice.
- InterFocus, Inc. Zheng represents this successful e-commerce company in federal court litigation and various other intellectual property and litigation issues related to doing business in the U.S. In 2023, Zheng and Rimon partner Mark Lee won summary judgement in a copyright litigation against a prolific copyright plaintiff by invalidating their copyright registrations and questioning the legitimacy of its process of copryight registration.
- XMotors,ai. Zheng represents this leading self-driving vehicle company in federal court litigation and in various other issues related to doing business in the U.S., including in a well-known litigation against Tesla, Inc.
- Taimei Technology Inc. Zheng represents this medical technology provider in various regulatory and cross-border issues relating to doing business in the U.S.
- Amberstone Biosciences. Zheng represents this early-stage biotech and pharmaceutical companies in connection with contract negotiations.
- Everest Medicine. Zheng represents this emerging pharmaceutical company in relation to various intellectual property issues.
- BGI Genomics. Zheng represents this well-known Chinese biotechnology company in relation to various intellectual property issues in the U.S.
- Alipay US. Zheng represents this leading payment company in various intellectual property and employment issues related to doing business in the U.S.
- Crystal Optech. Zheng represents this leading optical filter company in federal court patent litigation.
- Cambricon. Zheng represents this leading AI chip unicorn in intellectual property and licensing issues.
- Xiaomi. Zheng represents this leading consumer electronics company in various issues related to doing business outside China.
- DJI (Dajiang Innovations). Zheng represented this leading drone company in a wide variety of legal matters, including patent and trademark portfolio management and dispute resolution, technology licensing, data privacy counseling, product liability counseling, employment counseling, and consumer class action litigation.
- Logitech, Inc. Zheng represented this leading consumer electronics company against many patent-holding companies. Some cases have been favorably settled and some are still pending. Zheng also worked with Logitech on various IP due diligence and counseling matters.
- Varian Medical Systems, Inc. Zheng defended this leading radiation therapy equipment company in a few patent infringement suits brought by non-practicing entities. She also worked with Varian on various licensing and other litigation matters.
- Vigour Pak and Vigour Plastic. Zheng represented these Taiwanese companies in a contract dispute against their former U.S. distributor, which claimed exclusive distribution rights based on an alleged oral contract.
- Zhongshan Golden Dragon Amusement Equipment Co. Zheng represented this Chinese company in a patent-infringement action filed by a competitor in Florida and achieved favorable settlement.
- OPPO Digital, Inc. Zheng successfully defended this Chinese-owned Silicon Valley company, which produces the highest-rated disc players, in a patent infringement action filed by patent holding company Blue Spike in Texas.
- Or-Cal, Inc. Zheng defended this chemical and agricultural product company against TKI.
- Microsemi Corp. and D-Link Systems Inc. Zheng defended these companies against Chrimar Systems Inc. in a patent infringement case at the Eastern District of Michigan. This case was favorably settled.
- Acer Inc., Nanya Corp. and Powerchip Corp. Zheng defended these three Taiwanese companies against Tessera Inc. at U.S. International Trade Commission in a §337 action. An unusual and significant win for these companies was achieved.
- AOpen America Inc. and AOpen Inc. Zheng defended this Taiwanese company in a $30 million contract damages suit. This case was favorably settled.
- Amgen, Inc. Zheng adivsed on various legal issues related to the famous Cabilly Patents in the antibody space.
- Qualcomm, Inc. Zheng advised on multiple wireless communication patent infringement lawsuits.
- Common compliance issues for Chinese companies in the U.S., December 2022
- Panel on cases against Chinese American professors, September 2022
- Common compliance pitfalls in biopharma investment, fund-raising, collaboration in North America, September 2022
- Silicon Valley Legal Career Talk, August, 2021
- Top Legal Risks for sUAS Manufacturers and Service Providers, Small Unmanned Systems Business Exposition, San Francisco, May 4, 2017
- Top Legal Risks for Robotics companies, Shenzhen Robotics Association & Shenzhen International Arbitration Court, February 2017
- How the Landmark New Civil Trade Secret Law Affects you, Menlo Park, December 6, 2016
- Trademarks, U.S. Clearance, Protection & Enforcement Strategies, Shenzhen, November 2, 2016
- Networking 101 for Chinese lawyers, Menlo Park, October 4, 2016
- Trade secrets, unavoidable risks for Chinese companies doing business internationally, Shanghai, April 26, 2016
- Legal Issues for Chinese Investments in the U.S., Angels Global, Palo Alto, December 6, 2015
- Patent Workshop, Chinese American Biopharmaceutical Association, Foster City, December 4, 2015
- IOE Panel, SVC Wireless Annual Conference, November 21, 2015
- Trade Secrets Issues: Ignore Them at Your Peril, Menlo Park, September 22, 2015
- Discovery in Complex U.S. Litigation and Document Management, Shenzhen, July 15, 2015
- Trade Secrets, EEA and Export Control, Menlo Park, April 14, 2015
- Data Privacy and Security in The Age of Mobile Internet, Beijing, March 18, 2015
- Essential Document Management for Compliance and Litigation, Shenzhen, March 6, 2015
- Risks and Remedies in cross-border technology transfer, University of Science & Technology of China School of Management, Hefei, Anhui, October 13, 2014
- Data Privacy in the Age of Mobile Internet, Mobile Payment Security Conference, Beijing, June 2014
- What Chinese American Professionals Must Know About Trade Secrets and Export Control Cases: Lessons from Civil Lawsuits and Criminal Prosecutions, Menlo Park, CA, May 2014
- U.S. Litigation Risks to Chinese Companies, Zhuhai Software Park, March 2014
- U.S. Litigation Risks to Chinese Companies, Zhongshan Overseas Investment Enterprise Association, March 2014
- How Do Companies in the Greater China Region Fare in the U.S. Patent System? Menlo Park, CA, March 2014
- U.S. Litigation Risks to Chinese Companies, Fuzhou Software Park, Fuzhou, November 7, 2013
- U.S. Litigation Risks to Chinese Companies, Suzhou Industrial Park, October 29, 2013
- U.S. Litigation Risks to Chinese Companies, Chengdu, China, October 14, 2012
- Trade Secrets Litigation and its Impact on Chinese Companies, Intellectual Property Institute, China Eastern University of Law & Politics, Shanghai, October 10, 2012
- 2012 U.S. Patent Law Update, Successful Women In IP Annual Meeting, Menlo Park, CA, September 12, 2012
- Why are Chinese engineers, scientists and professionals convicted?, Menlo Park, CA, July 14, 2012
- Biosimilars: Science, Business, IP and Regulatory Issues, CACO Pharmaceutical & BioScience Society, Foster City, CA, May 20, 2011
- IP issues for biopharmaceutical professionals, CABS Science Workshop on Nucleic Acid Based Therapies, Menlo Park, CA, April 10, 2010
- Document Management Strategies and E-discovery Cost Containment, San Jose Biocenter, October 29, 2008
- U.S.-China Cross Border Intellectual Property Issues, Shanghai Jiatong University Venture Group, February 19, 2008
- U.S.-China Cross Border Intellectual Property Issues, Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP, November 13, 2007
- New Development in U.S. Patent Law and its Effect on Chinese Companies’ IP strategy, Shanghai Bio forum, July 5, 2007
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- YWCA Golden Gate Silicon Valley Tribute to Women Awards Honoree, 2023
- Minority Bar Coalition Unity Awards, Chinese American Lawyers of the Bay Area, 2022
- Legal Co-Chair, 36th Anniversary Celebration, Asian Law Alliance, 2013
- Prosser Prize for Biotech and Chemical Patent Law, UC Berkeley School of Law (UC Regents), 2003
- Winner, Nineteenth Annual Graduate Research Symposium, The Ohio State University, 1994
- Co-author, “Federal Circuit: ITC Does Not Have Jurisdiction Over Electronic Transmissions of Digital Data”, Managing Intellectual Property, December 2015
- Co-author, “Five Questions You Should Ask Yourself About the Section 337 Complaint That Was Just Filed Against You”, Managing Intellectual Property, September 2015
- Co-author, “Treading Carefully in Discovery”, Managing Intellectual Property, June 2015
- Co-author, “Judgment as the beginning for the enforcement of an ITC exclusion order”, Managing Intellectual Property, December 2013
- Co-author, “The Increasingly Lenient ITC Domestic Industry”, Managing Intellectual Property, March 2013
- Co-author, “Biosimilar Legislation and Its Impact on IP Protection”, Trends in BioPharmaceutical Industry, Vol.5, Issue 4, 2009
- Co-author, “Litigation in the land of the foreign devil: section 337 investigations at the U.S. International Trade Commission”, Caijing Magazine, September 14, 2009
- Co-author, “U.S. International Trade Commission §337 Investigation procedure summary”, Chinese Lawyer, 2008
- Ray-yuan Chuang, Paul Weaver, Zheng Liu and Tien-Hsien Chang, “Requirement of the DEAD-Box Protein Ded1p for Messenger RNA Translation”, Science, Vol. 275, 1468-1471, 1997
- Zheng Liu, Clayton C. Huntley, Bishnu P. De, Tapas Das, Amyia K. Banerjee, and Michael J. Oglesbee, “Phosphorylation of Canine Distemper Virus P Protein by Protein Kinase C-zeta and Casein Kinase II”, Virology, Vol. 232, 198-206, 1997
- Tien-Hsien Chang, Lori J. Latus, Zheng Liu, and John M. Abbott, “Genetic interactions of conserved regions in the DEAD-Box protein Prp28p”, Nucleic Acids Research, Vol. 25, No. 24, 5033-5040, 1997
- Michael J. Oglesbee, Zheng Liu, Hai Kenney, and Charles Brooks, “The Highly Inducible Member of the 70 kDa Family of Heat Shock Proteins Increases Canine Distemper Virus Polymerase Activity”, Journal of General Virology, Vol. 77, No. 9, 2125-2135, 1996
News, Events, & Insights
- Rimon Partner Zheng Liu Receives YWCA Golden Gate Silicon Valley’s Tribute to Women Award
Awards March 31, 2023
- A Los Angeles Court Ruled Against Prolific Copyright Plaintiff in Summary Judgment
News January 25, 2023
- Rimon Partner Zheng Liu Receives Minority Bar Coalition Unity Award
Awards November 15, 2022
- Rimon team helps self-driving startup XMotors fight against Tesla’s demands in trade secrets battle
News April 28, 2020
- Rimon Represents Foxconn in Royalties Case Against Microsoft
News May 9, 2019
- Rimon’s Expansion to Shenzhen Covered by The American Lawyer, The Global Legal Post, Asian Legal Business and Lawfuel
News January 29, 2019