Steve Eichel is a highly versatile business and tax attorney who represents clients in multiple capacities—as general outside counsel, as lead transactional counsel or as special tax counsel. Drawing on more than 30 years of experience, Mr. Eichel guides both publicly traded and privately held companies in structuring and implementing domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, complex joint venture formations, international equity and debt financing, and executive compensation and equity incentive plans. He focuses particularly on companies based in France, the United Kingdom and other parts of Europe looking to access markets in the United States, as well as U.S. companies working on global expansions.
When tax issues arise in these transactions, Mr. Eichel provides practical options designed to ensure that tax considerations are balanced appropriately with other business objectives without losing sight of the “big picture.” While tax laws have only become increasingly complex over time, Mr. Eichel is known for his ability to explain otherwise impenetrable tax concepts in “plain English” so that his clients can make well-informed tax-sensitive decisions with confidence. Mr. Eichel has extensive expertise in the use of limited liability companies and the drafting of limited liability company agreements. He also assists clients with their day-to-day operational and business matters, including drafting, review and negotiation of commercial contracts, employment and consulting agreements, restricted stock agreements and stock option plans, as well as intercompany services and intellectual property licensing agreements to address transfer pricing issues.
A fluent French speaker and frequent traveler to France, Mr. Eichel represents French companies and entrepreneurs in their initial entry into and development and expansion in the United States. As a result, he has developed deep connections with law and accounting firms in France and other European countries where his clients are doing business, enabling him to provide a balanced approach that takes into account both U.S. and non-U.S. legal and tax considerations. In support of this niche, he is an active member of the New England chapter of the French-American Chamber of Commerce, serving as its Vice President and on its Board of Directors. He is also a member of New England’s People & Culture Consortium, a group of professionals in human resources-related fields who meet regularly to share best practices and discuss emerging trends in workforce management.
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Advised on the sale of a publicly traded U.S.-based multi-national manufacturer of products for the gaming industry to a foreign private company in a going private transaction.
- Advised on the sale of a high-end boutique economic analysis firm to an international management consulting firm.
- Advised a publicly-traded French technology consulting company on its acquisition of a privately held U.S. software development company with operations in the United States, India and the Netherlands.
- Advised a large privately held French conglomerate’s acquisition of a U.S. engineering firm serving the nuclear power industry.
- Advised a private equity-backed French musical instrument manufacturer on its acquisition of a U.S. musical instrument manufacturer.
- Advised on the sale of a U.S. boutique management consulting firm with substantial international operations to a U.S. publicly-traded consulting firm.
- Advising on the internal restructuring of an international healthcare and biotechnology consulting group with operations in the United States and throughout Europe.
- Structuring and tax planning for a French private equity fund’s entry into the U.S. market.
- Advising a construction products sale firm regarding its buyout of minority equity owners and succession planning.
Private Equity Funds
- Advising on the acquisition and subsequent sale of an emergency medical air transport service.
- Advising on the acquisition of a professional NASCAR racing team and driving school.
- Advising on the acquisition of a dental services management company.
- Advising on the investment in a Bulgarian software and technology services company.
- Advising on the disposition of a private equity-backed hospital administration and management group of companies to a strategic acquirer.
- Advising on the acquisition of a medical waste disposal company.
Joint Venture Formations
- Advising on the joint venture between a real estate developer and a casino developer and operator to build and operate a casino hotel resort.
- Advising on the joint venture between a real estate developer and a thoroughbred racing operator to develop and operate a racetrack and off-track gaming operations.
- Advising A U.S. technology company on its negotiation of a joint product development venture with a Swiss research and development company.
- Advising on multiple complex joint ventures among retail, commercial and residential real estate developers to develop large-scale urban mixed-use projects.
- Advising on a joint venture to bid on the acquisition of a major league baseball team.
Restructuring, Reorganizations and Debt Financings
- Restructuring of France-based business strategy and educational simulations software firm with U.S. operations to separate different lines of business through a series of spin-off transactions.
- Restructuring of high-net-worth family’s business and real estate holdings to facilitate settlement of dispute between two branches of family.
- Advising an affiliated group of securities investment funds aggregating over $200 million in investments for a high-net-worth family office in a conversion from general partnerships to LLCs, and preparation of LLC agreements to govern reorganized fund vehicles.
- Advising an international securities brokerage and financial advisory services firm with offices in Bermuda, Japan and Luxembourg in a global reorganization, and tax planning and structuring for, and organization of, new operations in China and India.
- Advising a Japanese financial services firm in the design and implementation of equity-based compensation plan.
- Advising a supplier of linguists and interpreters to the U.S. Department of Defense in a corporate reorganization and tax planning.
- Advising on numerous start-up company formations and financings.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- America’s Leading Lawyers in Tax, Chambers USA, 2013-2018
- Tax Law, Best Lawyers (BL Rankings LLC), 2008 to present
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers (Thomson Reuters Corp), 2004 to present
- Legal 500 (Legal Lease LTD), U.S., 2015 & 2017
News, Events, & Insights
OneMedNet Announces de-SPAC Transaction with estimated value of $317 million with Data Knights Acquisition Corp.
IM Report April 26, 2022
Rimon Attorneys in 14 Offices and 10 States Listed as Best Lawyers in America 2022
Awards August 19, 2021
Rimon welcomes Steven P. Eichel as a Corporate and Tax Partner in its Boston office
News December 16, 2020