Michael Joyce advises global corporations and institutional investors on their investments, divestitures and projects across a range of business sectors including the oil and gas, LNG, mining, power, renewables, petrochemicals, technology and infrastructure sectors. Mr. Joyce also has extensive experience in the Indo Pacific region, particularly advising clients from Japan, Korea and Australia on complex cross border acquisitions joint ventures, infrastructure projects, technology projects and licensing, construction contracts, energy transactions, general corporate and commercial transactions, international commodities transactions and finance and restructuring transactions. He has provided those clients with strategic advice on deals in Australasia, Europe, the Middle East, India, Central Asia and North and South America and maintains extensive corporate and legal contacts throughout the Indo-Pacific.
In addition to being in private practice for over 25 years, Mr. Joyce served as general counsel for the Australian operations of major Japanese trading house ITOCHU Corporation.
Cross Border Mergers & Acquisitions
- Representation of a Japanese multinational on its acquisition of a substantial interest in a 100MW solar project in Texas.
- Representation of a major international energy company in relation to its proposed acquisition of Indian and Philippine LNG receiving terminal and distribution assets.
- Representation of UK energy company, NextEnergy Capital on its acquisition of the Indian owner of a 25MWAC/35MWDC solar project in the Bagalkot District of India, and of the 10.5MWDC/10MWAC solar project in the Sangrur District, Punjab, India.
- Representation of JX Nippon Oil & Energy of Japan on its acquisition of an interest in an 1,100MW gas fired power plant in the PJM market in the United States from power developer Advanced Power. Advised on all aspects of the acquisition including due diligence, corporate, regulatory, environmental, competition, structuring, power and gas market issues and tax.
- Representation of the national oil company of India in relation to its bid for operating oil and gas production, processing and pipeline infrastructure assets in Central Asia.
- Representation of the Singapore subsidiary of major Japanese trading house, ITOCHU Corporation, in relation to its acquisition of two waste to power projects in the Phillipines being built to serve a major multinational food producers industrial food processing operations.
- Representation of Blackpeak (Holdings) Limited, an investigative research firm with offices in Singapore, Hong Kong, PRC, Japan and the US in the sale of 100% of its business to Acuris, a provider of global data, intelligence, research and analysis.
- Representation of Jiangxi Copper in relation to its successful acquisition of a 49% interest in a major Tungsten deposit in Kazakhstan from the Hong Kong based owner for US $200 million.
- Representation of various clients on the acquisition of interests in upstream oil and gas assets and mining tenements.
Joint Ventures, Infrastructure, Technology and Project Development
- Representation of J-Power in relation to its investment in a consortium with Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Iwatani Corporation, Marubeni Corporation, Sumitomo Corporation and AGL Limited, with the support of the Australian Federal and Victorian State Governments in relation to the development of a $500 million Hydrogen energy supply chain and technology demonstration project in Victoria.
- Representation of Lukoil in relation to technology licensing arrangements for the upgrade and expansion of an HDPE facility within one of its existing refineries.
- Representation of Lukoil in relation to technology licensing arrangements associated with the development of a new chemicals facility for the production of MTBE within one of its existing refineries.
- Representation of trading company, ITOCHU Singapore, in relation to the establishment of a joint venture for the trading of commodities used in steelmaking.
- Representation of Barrick Gold in relation to a proposed joint venture with The Saudi Arabian Mining Company in relation to the development of a Saudi based gold project.
- Representation of State-owned utility in Queensland, Australia, CS Energy, in relation to its joint venture with seven other parties including the State Government of Queensland, Schlumberger, Glencore and an international consortium of Japanese Companies including Mitsui, J-POwer and IHI Engineering for the development of a clean coal technology demonstration project known as the Callide Oxy-Fuel project.
- Representation of various companies in relation to joint venture, joint operating and transactional arrangements related to liquefied natural gas, oil, gas, resources and mining joint ventures in Asia and North America.
- Representation of ITOCHU Corporation in relation to its proposed participation in Petronas’ US$20 billion integrated petrochemicals project in Johor, known as project Rapid.
- Representation of ITOCHU Corporation joint venture investments in the Queensland New Generation Rolling Stock public private partnership project for the supply of commuter rail sets and the $3.5 billion Aquasure desalination public private partnership project to build, own and operate a high capacity water desalination plant in the Australian State of Victoria, as well as in its joint venture bids for the public private partnership High Capacity Metro Trains Project in Victoria, The Sydney Light Rail Project, the North West Rail Project in New South Wales and the Gold Coast Light Rail Project in Queensland.
- Representation of various clients on infrastructure developments including for gas and water pipelines, rail lines and port and petrochemical infrastructure.
- Representation of a renewable developer in respect of its joint venture with a French utility for the development of solar micro-grid projects in Myanmar.
- Representation of various clients on long and short term liquefied natural gas agreements and associated arrangements including Anadarko (now Total) as the operator and lead developer of the Mozambique LNG Project, Pavillion Energy, ENEOS Corporation, S-Oil of Korea , Kogas, Mitsui & Co., Ltd., Toyota Tsusho, Tokyo Electric Power Company and Tokyo Gas.
- Representation of various clients in relation to power, waste to power and renewables developments in various jurisdictions, including providing advice on issues related to project structuring, construction, fuel supply, energy offtake and hedging and power purchase agreement arrangements.
- Representation of various clients in relation to the acquisition of domestic gas sale and purchase agreements for industrial and power applications, pipeline capacity, and transportation agreements, aviation fuel supply arrangements with airports and fuel supply to remote location sites.
Finance and Restructuring
- Advised on the mining commodity aspects of a financial restructuring in excess of US $3.5 billion of US and English law governed bond and bank debt, as well as other unsecured debts of Noble Group Limited.
- Representation of an informal steering committee of holders of Medium Term Notes issued by Hyflux Limited, an SGX listed, global environmental solutions company in respect to its restructure, advising on restructuring issues associated with its power related development assets.
- Representation of various clients on the solvent restructuring of corporate groups and asset holdings.
- Representation of various clients on corporate debt, trade finance, and other facilities, along with associated security and guarantee arrangements both as a lender and borrower.
- Representation of various clients on note issuance and convertible note arrangements, as well as advising on inter-creditor, priority, and direct agreement arrangements.
General Corporate and Commercial Transactions, International Commodities, Licensing and Distribution Arrangements
- Served as general counsel to ITOCHU Corporation in Australia, advising on all aspects of the corporations corporate and commercial legal issues, including trading and distribution operations, investments, corporate and regulatory compliance, litigation management, licensing, employment and strategy.
- Served as main international external legal adviser to Eneos Corporation, advising on all aspects of its international midstream and resources operations, including on investments, trading and distribution agreements, technology licensing, litigation management and general corporate and compliance advice.
- Served as one of the main international external legal advisers to Toyota Tsusho Corporation in relation to its cross border investments, resources investments and regional compliance issues.
- Advising Lukoil in relation to technology licensing arrangements for the upgrade and expansion of an HDPE facility within one of its existing refineries and in relation to the licensing arrangements associated with the development of a new chemicals facility for the production of MTBE within one of its existing refineries.
- “Energy in ASEAN: Developments in the Wind Energy Market in Vietnam”, AG Speaking Energy Blog, June 2020
- “Energy in ASEAN: Solar Energy in Vietnam”, AG Speaking Energy Blog, June 2020
- “Energy in ASEAN: Renewable Energy in Vietnam”, AG Speaking Energy Blog, May 2020
- “The Emerging Hydrogen Economy: Update”, AG Speaking Energy Blog, April 2020
- “The Coming Decommissioning Wave in Southeast Asia: What to Expect and the Relevance of Experiences in the North Sea and U.S. Gulf of Mexico”, AG Speaking Energy Blog, April 2020
- “COVID-19 Across Asia: Your Essential Toolkit in the Rapidly-changing Commercial and Legal Risk Landscape” Akin Gump Alert, March 2020
- “Practical Guide to Asian LNG Price Review: Part 2”, Akin Gump Energy Alert, March 2020
- “Practical Guide to Asian LNG Price Review: Part 1”, Akin Gump Energy Alert, February 2020.
- “Coronavirus/Covid-19 and ‘Force Majeure’ Under Long-term Asian LNG Contracts”, Akin Gump Energy Alert, February 2020
- “The Emerging Hydrogen Economy”, AG Speaking Energy Blog, December 2019
- “European Commission Takes Aim at Qatar’s LNG Contracts,” Natural Gas World, July 9, 2018.
- “Revisiting LNG Resale Restrictions – Implications of Recent EU Decisions”, AG Speaking Energy Blog, July 2018.
- “Understanding of the impact of the Macondo incident – An Australia perspective”, Journal of the Japanese Institute of International Business Law Vol. 45, No. 4, 2017.
- “Everything You Need to Know About the Australian Domestic Gas Security Mechanism—What Does This Mean for Australian LNG Exporters and Corporations Importing from Them?”, AG Speaking Energy Blog, June 2017.
- “The Japan Fair Trade Commission Has Said No to LNG Resale Restrictions—What Does This Mean for Japanese and Non-Japanese LNG Importers?”, AG Speaking Energy Blog, July 2017.
- “Changes in the foreign investment regime and its effect on investments into the energy and resources sector” AMPLA Yearbook 2016.
- “The Outlook for Global LNG – Mitigating Risk Today to Capitalize on Opportunities in a Post-Coronavirus World”, AG Webinar, 21 May 2020
- “Energy, Construction and PE International Webinar”, AG Webinar, 5 May 2020
- “U.S. Energy Industry Webinar”, AG Webinar, 21 April 2020
Awards & Recognition
- Legal 500 Asia-Pacific, Energy: foreign firms, 2019 and 2020
- Legal 500 Asia-Pacific, Projects and energy: foreign firms, 2018, 2019 and 2020
- Chambers Global, Energy & Natural Resources: International 2019, 2020 and 2021
- Chambers Asia, Singapore, Energy & Natural Resources: International Foreign Expertise in Japan 2019, 2020 and 2021
- Chambers Asia, Japan, Projects & Energy: Expertise Based Abroad 2019, 2020 and 2021
- Best Lawyers, Energy Law, Singapore 2019 and 2020
- Acritas Stars – Independently Rated Lawyer – 2020