Matthew Pace represents clients in a broad range of sports and entertainment matters, including property acquisitions and sales, sponsorships, licensing and promotional agreements, joint venture activities, digital rights and other media and general business issues.
His clients include personalities, sports leagues and teams, sponsors and properties, technology companies, investors, licensees and licensors and marketing and promotions agencies.
His clients include sports leagues and teams, sponsors and properties, sports technology companies, investors, licensees and licensors and sports marketing and promotions agencies. Among the noteworthy representations include the representation of: Sport 10 IP, Limited, the company that owns and licenses the intellectual property rights of Global icon Pele, Alliance Baseball, the owners of the Omaha Storm Chasers (AAA Kansas City Royals) and the Richmond Flying Squirrels (AA San Francisco Giants), North East Sports Consultants, the NY Cosmos Soccer Club in connection with its re-launch and subsequent sale, the Ultimate Fighting Championship, Sports Technologies in connection with the sale of FanNation.com to Sports Illustrated, and Slipstream Sports in connection with its ownership of the Cannondale Garmin Professional Cycling team. Mr. Pace has also represented private equity investors in connection with their investments in sports.
Mr. Pace previously held senior-level business positions, including serving as executive director of Major League Lacrosse, executive vice president of Business Development and General Counsel for GM EventWorks, an Interpublic Group company that was responsible for managing sports and entertainment alliances for General Motors Corp.
Mr. Pace received his J.D. from the Emory University School of Law and his B.A. from Trinity College-Hartford.
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
- United States Recommended Attorney, The Legal 500 (Legalease Ltd), 2015
- “Starting a Career in Sports & the Law,” New York City Bar Association Committee on Sports Law; February 26, 2014
- “Should Some Advantages be Allowable? The Argument Surrounding the Permissibility of Performance Enhancement,” 18th Annual Fordham Sports Law Symposium, Fordham University; February 14, 2014
- “Going Global: The Impact of Exportation and Expansion of American Sports Around the World,” 16th Annual Fordham Sports Law Symposium, Fordham University; March 30, 2012
- “The Role of Sponsorship and Advertising in the Business of Sport” NY State Bar Association (NYSBA) “In the Arena” 2012.
- “Clash of Sports Celebrities’ Publicity Rights in Computer and Fantasy Sports Games,” New York State Bar Association’s Entertainment, Arts and Sports Law Section; February 23, 2011
- “Twenty-First Century Labor Concerns in Sports and Entertainment,” Seton Hall University Law School’s Annual Sports and Entertainment Law Symposium; February 15, 2011
- “Pay-Per-View and Subscription Models in the Entertainment and Sports Industries,” American Bar Association; October 8, 2010
- “New Media Round Table Discussion,” Punch Media Group; March 3, 2010
- “Challenges in Going Mobile,” The International Association of Entertainment Lawyers; February 24, 2010
- “The Impact of Social Networking on the Sports World,” New York State Bar Association’s Entertainment, Arts and Sports Law Section; November 17, 2009
- “Understanding the Value of Your Digital Rights,” Sports Media & Technology 2007 Conference; November 13, 2007
- Co-chair of the sports section of the Entertainment, Arts and Sports Law (EASL) section of the New York State Bar Association.
- Executive director of Major League Lacrosse
- Executive vice president of Business Development and general counsel for GM EventWorks, a company responsible for managing the sports and entertainment alliances for General Motors
- Player agent and a business development and partnership consultant to national retailers and marketing companies
News, Events, & Insights
- Matthew Pace and Alex Brown represented Rimon client GSE Worldwide in connection with the acquisition of Grutman Sports and Entertainment
News July 2, 2020
- Rimon’s Matthew Pace Presents on the Future of Sports in the Age of Virtual Reality at Sixth Annual Cardozo Sports Law Symposium
Events March 23, 2018
- Rimon client Alliance Baseball BBA acquires Baseball America
News February 15, 2017
- Law360 Article on Four New Partners Joining Rimon in New York, San Francisco, Seattle, and New Jersey
News July 10, 2016
- Sports Law Partner Matthew Pace Joins Rimon’s New York Office
News June 6, 2016