Jon Mechanic’s practice focuses on all aspects of entertainment law.
Mr. Mechanic advises his film and television producer clients, based in the United States, Canada and Europe, on all aspects of development, financing, tax credit structuring, production legal, distribution, and errors and omissions and clearance matters. He also represents lenders (both institutional and non-institutional) active in the entertainment industry, advising them on film and television financing transactions, including tax credit, pre-sales, and gap financing. Mr. Mechanic provides outside general counsel to many of his entertainment industry clients, assisting them on matters relating to employment, privacy, regulatory compliance, French language laws, and compliance with changes to the law, among other things.
Mr. Mechanic maintains an active interest in US-Canada cross-border matters, both in the entertainment industry and other industries.
Mr. Mechanic is serving as a Course Lecturer in Entertainment Law at the McGill University Faculty of Law in Winter 2024.
- Congregation Shaar Hashomayim, Montreal – Board of Trustees and Young Professionals Committee (formerly, Chair)
- “Content Review and Clearance: Revenge of the Shih Tzus!”, McGill University Faculty of Law, November 17, 2022
- “Financing in Film and Television”, McGill University Faculty of Law, October 6, 2022
- “Copyrights in the Movie Industry”, Presentation, Champlain College, October 23, 2021
- “Show Me The Money – Film Financing”, Podcast, 2020-2021
- “Techtainment – The Convergence of Technology and Entertainment”, Presentation, Bar of Quebec, Les Grands Rendez-Vous de Formation, February 14, 2020 and April 29, 2021
- “Is It Real – Or Is It Deepfake”, The Cyber Express Magazine, April 2023
- “We’re Not Worthy!: Ineligible Production Genres for Canadian Tax Credits”, May 26, 2020 (LinkedIn)
- “There’s No Place Like Home… Thanks to Streamers and Other Technologies”, April 27, 2020 (LinkedIn)
- “Deepfake: The Final Frontier”, April 16, 2020 (LinkedIn)
- “The 3 Ws of Moral Rights”, April 9, 2020 (LinkedIn)
- Co-Author, “Sign Here Please…”, August 6, 2019 (Blog)
News, Events, & Insights
- Is It Real - Or Is It Deepfake, The Cyber Express Magazine
Insights April 5, 2023
- Global law firm Rimon PC opens new office in Montréal and Gascon Associates joins the Rimon Global Alliance Network
News May 3, 2021