James’ practice includes structuring fund sponsor entities, preparing investment fund offering documents, negotiating partnership and side letter agreements with investors, organizing investment transaction vehicles, and documenting investment subscription processes. James regularly advises clients on related Investment Company Act and Investment Advisers Act regulatory matters.
In addition to his experience over the past ten years in Silicon Valley, his background includes serving as vice president and associate general counsel in the legal department of Trust Company of the West (TCW), an asset management firm based in Los Angeles. Following law school, James was a law clerk to the Honorable Samuel A. Alito, Jr., of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.
• Growth fund sponsored by a consumer and brand technology accelerator for investments in its companies. Capital commitments to-date exceed $10 million, initial closing 2020.
• Early-stage/seed-stage technology fund. Capital commitments to-date exceed $7 million, initial closing 2020.
• University alumni-adjacent seed/early-stage fund to invest in startups formed by affiliated alumni. $2.5 million in capital commitments, closed 2020.
• Seed-stage fund focused on enterprise startups. Capital commitments exceed $15 million, closed 2020.
• Technology opportunity fund. $100 million in capital commitments, closed 2020.
• Growth-stage venture capital fund. $200 million in capital commitments (at the cap), closed 2019.
• Growth fund sponsored by a technology accelerator for investments in its companies. Capital commitments to-date exceed $50 million, initial closing 2019.
• Technology buyout fund. Capital commitments to-date exceed $40 million, initial closing 2019.
News, Events, & Insights
Aperture Venture Capital Closes First Round of 75 Million Dollar Corporate Diversity Fund
News July 20, 2021