Jahan Islami is a Partner in Rimon’s Miami office. Mr. Islami focuses his practice on mergers and acquisitions, private equity transactions, venture capital transactions, debt financings, private placements, and general corporate matters. Mr. Islami advises entrepreneurs, investors, and company management on formation issues, financings, corporate transactions, operational and general corporate matters, and corporate governance. He has extensive experience in a variety of industry consolidations representing buyers, sellers, borrowers, lenders, and advisers. He also works with distressed businesses in their reorganization efforts.
Mr. Islami regularly represents middle market clients — corporate clients, private equity firms, other private investment funds, and high net worth individuals — and acts as outside general counsel for a number of his private company clients. He has represented numerous companies in M&A transactions and related regulatory and securities issues including Fresh Del Monte Produce, Inc., Republic Services, Nations Rent, Florida Panthers Holdings, Inc. and The Geo Group, Inc. He has represented buyers and sellers in hundreds of acquisitions and dispositions of companies. Mr. Islami advises clients across a range of industries, but has a particular focus on the health care, life sciences and sports sectors.
Mr. Islami is recognized as a leading attorney by Best Lawyers in America (2019-2022).
- Representation of a national real estate investment and management company in connection with a preferred equity investment in one of its entities, which owns a portfolio of 10 multi-family properties, by a private equity real estate firm.
- Representation of the seller in the multimillion dollar sale of an insurance underwriting business to a private equity group.
- Representation of an independent broadcast communications tower owner and operator in Brazil, in connection with a senior credit transaction and multiple follow-on financings and refinancings thereof.
- Representation of a nationwide coffee roasting company with both wholesale and retail operations, in connection with a significant senior credit transaction.
- Representation of an aviation leasing company in multiple private placements, totaling more than $350 million, led by institutional private equity and pension fund investors. The transactions involved complex structuring and tax issues, as well as for the subsequent investment funds, the negotiation of new lead investor rights and accommodation of legacy investment capacity rights in favor of the lead investor from the client’s prior funds.
- Representation of a state-of-the-art bourbon distillery as the issuer in a significant Series A financing transaction.
- Representation of a start-up spirits brand from conception to market launch, including advising on financing, employment, general corporate, intellectual property, and commercial matters.
- Representation of the owners in the sale of their premium cigar business to an industry-leading strategic buyer.
- Representation of a start-up tequila brand from inception through the client’s initial and growth capital raising rounds, handling all corporate and other legal matters.
- Representation of the seller in the sale of his business, the consideration for which was cash and the receipt of equity in the buyer’s parent company.
- Representation of the borrower in a senior-secured financing to refinance an existing senior loan and to acquire growth capital.
- Representation of numerous startups from inception through their initial and growth capital raising rounds, handling all corporate and other legal matters.
- Representation of the Florida Marlins Baseball Club in the sale of the franchise in 1999; represented the Florida Panthers Hockey Club in the acquisition and relocation of their American Hockey League minor league team, the Louisville Panthers; and represented the Miami Dolphins in various general corporate matters.
- Representation of the issuer in a $7.5 million seed round private placement to capitalize an early-stage company that, through a patented electrolysis process, produces a proprietary fuel mixture composed of parahydrogen and a stable form of atomic hydrogen.
- Representation of a Kentucky distiller of American Brandy and other spirits in the sale of the company to an industry-leading, strategic buyer.
- Representation of a start-up, low cost carrier passenger and cargo airline, advising on general corporate matters, corporate governance, private placements, and the client’s public company securities filings.
- Representation of a transportation and logistics company providing cargo shipping services to the Bahamas, advising on deal structure, general corporate and capital raising matters.