Ivan Tjoe is an experienced civil litigator. He focuses his practice on representing companies located abroad in litigation arising from their business activity or investments in the United States. Mr. Tjoe’s broad client base includes companies in the manufacturing, technology, logistics, finance and entertainment sectors.
Mr. Tjoe represents clients in state and federal courts, prosecuting and defending claims including breach of contract, fraud, false advertising, unfair competition, interference, right of publicity, trade secrets and intellectual property infringement. Mr. Tjoe has obtained hundreds of millions of dollars in judgements, verdicts and settlements for his clients. While Mr. Tjoe is primarily a litigator, he often serves as general counsel to his clients, providing advice on areas including intellectual property, corporate counselling and corporate governance.
Selected Litigation Representations
- Representation of Foxconn in the United States, Mexico and Taiwan in numerous contractual, business-to-business tort and intellectual property disputes.
- Successfully defended Foxconn against a breach of contract claim by a competitor for millions in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California.
- Counselling client in an eight-figure trademark dispute, avoiding a lawsuit.
- Successfully settled contractual and tort claims in excess of $20 million against a subsidiary of United Technologies Corporation on behalf of client.
- Representation of a former WBC Welterweight champion in relation to extrication from a personal service and management contract.
- Representation of an “A-List” film and television celebrity couple in a matter involving right of free press.
- Co-chaired a two-week jury trial in the Los Angeles Superior Court involving claims for breach of contract and fraud. Secured a jury verdict in excess of $7 million for his client, the plaintiff, after years of litigating in Korea and Indonesia.
- Co-chaired a one-week jury trial in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California securing a verdict for his client, the plaintiff.
- Representation of client in a $10 million business interference claim. Obtained summary judgment for client.
- Successfully seized millions of dollars in assets for client, by way of pre-judgment writ of attachment effectively nullifying plaintiffs’ claims.
- American Bar Association
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Maritime Law Association of the United States
Outside of legal work Mr. Tjoe also coaches youth soccer.
News, Events, & Insights
Rimon welcomes new Litigation Partner Ivan L. Tjoe to its Los Angeles office
News September 18, 2020