Akin Alcitepe concentrates his practice on complex commercial, construction and treaty matters before international and domestic dispute resolution tribunals such as the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID), ICC International Court of Arbitration and the American Arbitration Association, as well as U.S. state and federal courts. He has had litigation successes on all three stages — local, national and international. Akin regularly handles high-profile, treaty, construction and commercial claims.
Akin is a native of Turkey and is a graduate of Robert College in Istanbul, Turkey. He is known for his meticulous preparation and expert tailoring of his presentations to decision-makers (bench vs. jury trial vs. arbitration) which produces favorable results for his clients.
- Advised a large Turkish bank in conjunction with an ICSID dispute for the protection of a $90 million guarantee it had provided for the construction of a highway in Pakistan.
- Defended a government against claims being asserted by a Middle Eastern investor in an arbitration under the UNCITRAL rules.
- Represented a governmental agency in a cross-border litigation related to enforcement and collection efforts arising out of a series of court judgments.
- Prosecuted the claims of a French contractor against a South American government arising out of the construction of a power plant in an ICC arbitration.
- Represented the owner of a biomass gasification plant in Turkey related to the process utilized in that project.
- Defended and prosecuted the claims of a general contractor in a $100 million litigation arising out of the construction of the retractable roof of Miller Park in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- Pursued the $20 million claim of a Turkish subcontractor against a US contractor in a USAID project utilizing a FIDIC contract for the construction of a highway in Afghanistan.
- Represented the construction manager in a $20 million dispute with the concrete subcontractor in the construction of a stadium in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Prosecuted the claims of a government contractor arising out of a NAVFAC project in Djibouti.
- “Basic Jury Instructions,” Chapter 1, Model Jury Instructions for Surety Cases, American Bar Association publication (Author).
- “Bayindir v. Pakistan and the Decline and Fall of Investment Treaty Claims on International Construction Projects,” Ankara Law Review, Vol. 6, No. 2 (2010) (Co-author).
- Course Advisor for International Law Institute’s Program on FIDIC contracts.
- American Bar Association
- Invited to Join The Construction Lawyers Society of America
- European American Chamber of Commerce, NY Chapter
News, Events, & Insights
- Rimon Expands International Arbitration Offerings with new Partner, Akin Alcitepe
News September 7, 2023